Clarity Safety Consulting

Friday, January 11, 2008

Happy New Year!

On New Years Eve I was walking through Costco. As I walked into this Costco I was amazed at what I saw first. In the very first section were all the essential items for New Years Resolutions. There were vitamins, fat burners, Nicorette patches, exercise equipment and books. I think there were even some resources on finances. I guess we really are that pathetic.

New Years is a time to start over, to make a change. Costco in its brilliance recognized that we feel the need to make changes at the change of the year. I decided to make some changes. Lose some weight, eat better, spend more time with my kids, and spend my money better. Costco is ready to help me with my goals and sell me the products I need. As a pastor I have to spiritualize everything so here it is.
Costco studies people needs and spending habits to offer them products that they will buy. On a spiritual level do we know what people need? How do we discover that? I think we need to take a two-fold approach. We need to be aware of our world and culture. We also need to consult the person who can help us. The Holy Spirit is vital for us to reach people. How are people drawn to Christ? Through the Holy Spirit, I believe that this point is Biblical, and who empowers us to witness for Christ? Acts 1:8 is pretty clear on this. My resolution for this year is to be engaged in our culture but to see it through the eyes of the Holy Spirit. Jesus knew the needs of the people that he walked and talked with. He used this knowledge with the power of Holy Spirit to change lives. I want to do that.

No comments: